Thursday, December 10, 2015

My Experience on "SHIN GODZILLA" ("GODZILLA RESURGENCE")


Some of my readers may know that I was away for a few months, working as a production assistant on a film in Tokyo, Japan. Now that I am back home in New York City, I'm able to continue writing for this blog as I have month before. So for my first post back from Japan, I would like to tell everyone what I've been up to.

From August 1st to November 13th, I worked for 93 days as a production assistant on the upcoming film "Shin Godzilla" ("Godzilla Resurgence") at Toho Studios, mostly with the special effects department. There, I have experienced and witnessed so many amazing things. Things I've only seen in behind-the-scenes featurettes on DVD extras and on YouTube. It was there that I saw my childhood hero, the king of monster Godzilla, spring to life before my very eyes. Seeing him look up to the sky and roar sent chills down my spine. It was a sense of awe and wonder that I have never felt before. During the time I spent with the special effects team, I have encountered so many incredible artists, who are all at the top of their game. Being around them every single day and seeing how much passion they bring to every single set piece in the film, really made me appreciate the Godzilla films even more than I already have. Although working for months without breaks and adjusting to a language and culture that I am not entirely familiar with was exasperating, all the pain and stress that I've felt on set was worth it in the end to make an outstanding product. I am so proud to have been part of such a legendary film and to have met so many skilled and talented masters of their craft. The experience I had working on this film will, without a doubt, become useful in the future as I prepare myself to become a film director. But as a Godzilla fan, I felt euphoric every single day I was on set. The word "happy" can not explicitly describe the exact emotions I was feeling as I said "Good morning" and "Goodnight" to Godzilla when entering and exiting the studio. I have never felt more happy in my entire life. 


I truly do want to thank the staff of "Godzilla Resurgence" for making a loving Godzilla fan the happiest man on Earth. I am truly indebted to each and every one of them for changing my life in only 4 months. Thank you to everyone working on "Godzilla Resurgence"!

And now that my journey as a staff member on the film has come to an end, you can all expect my usual movie reviews, news and other related entries back on this blog. Thank you all for being patient with me.

The Dialogue is coming back!

-Yoko Higuchi




No comments:

Post a Comment